Teaching Kids To Preserve And Protect The Earth

Sunday, October 2, 2011
Last Friday, on the last day of September, my daughter, Zoe's school ended their Science Month celebration. It has been one month filled with activities geared towards teaching the school children about not just Science but about health as well.

The school prepared several activities each week and they include a Good Grooming Day, Cleaning Day, Cooking Day, Bring-Your-Pet Day and a Culminating Activity. Both of my girls participated in all those activities. Although my Ziya is homeschooled, she is technically still enrolled in the school and we follow their curriculum. She still goes to school in order to participate in activities such as those done during Science month. I believe that it is important for kids to be taught about how things work in the world, especially about keeping clean, taking care of animals and plants and the environment in general. I am very happy that their school does these activities to complement what we also teach them here at home.

Aside from those activities, Zoe, being in the fourth grade, was asked to submit a two-page research paper on ways to preserve and protect the Earth. This was her first ever research paper so she wasn't sure how to go about it. I guided her, of course. She researched information from her old Science books and I helped her research for photos on the Internet to go with them. She was pretty happy with the outcome. Not bad for a first try, if I should say so myself. For me, the most important thing really are the lessons that she has learned from those information she was able to gather and that hopefully she will take them to heart. After all, now is the best time to teach our kids how to protect the Earth, while there's still time to save it.

3 comments:

Chef in Training said...

Great blog! I love this post! I am your newest follower from the hop! I would love it if you would come check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Quirky Homemaker said...

It is important to teach the kids these things. I think the schools are doing a very good job of it now. Glad her first research paper went well! Thanks for stopping by the Sit and Relax weekend hop. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of homeschooling and still being in school... Interesting concept. My daughter is homeschooled, but apparently it's different, because she had to be withdrawn from the school and enrolled in a cover school. They do stuff like this, but it sounds like your child is still in a public school? Sorry if I misunderstood, but I think that's a pretty good idea. Hi! New follower! Thanks for hosting the hop! I hope you'll come by my blog and follow back! Through the Eyes of a Tiger

Post a Comment

Message Me! I'd love to hear from you.