Goodbye, Typhoon Pedring!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011
It's the rainy season in our part of the world and that means it's that time of the year when we all have to prepare ourselves to experience several storms to wreck havoc in our country. After Typhoon Ondoy hit the country two years ago, you would think that people have learned their lesson already and that improvements would have been made to help the country prepare better. Unfortunately, I think that's still not the case. Typhoon Pedring, which entered our country a couple of days ago, is now on its way out, but not without causing damage to a lot of people and property.

I watched the news earlier today and was dismayed to see a lot of people who had to be either evacuated or rescued due to severe flood or landslide in their area. Until now, there are a lot of areas that are still flooded and people who can't go back to their homes yet. It reminds me of the time while I was still living at my dad's house and a really strong typhoon hit the country as well. The street where my dad's house stands is really prone to flooding. That time, the street became flooded just several minutes after the storm came. We weren't expecting for the water to get in the house because it never happened before. Unfortunately, there's a first time for everything. The good thing was that we had a second floor and so we were able to save some stuff by moving them upstairs. However, there were still a lot of stuff that got soaked because we couldn't haul them all up. We were drying furniture, as well as pages and pages of documents from my dad's office for weeks!!!! It was terrible.

Luckily, the house that my family and I live in now is situated in an area that is not prone to flooding. Plus, we live at the third floor and so we would be safe and dry in case there is a flood. However, that doesn't mean we're not affected by seeing other people suffer. All these people who have suffered due to the floods and landslides are part of the reason why I put up this blog. I want to inspire people to actually do something to prevent all these things from happening repeatedly by being serious about helping save the Earth. We all know there are measures we can take to prevent floods and landslides. However, some people just don't care and I don't get that. I mean, how many typhoons will it take before we all seriously take action? How many more people have to get hurt? How many people have to lose their homes and other valuables? How many more people have to die?

According to the news, although Typhoon Pedring is now exiting the country, another typhoon is poised to enter the country. That is very, very bad news. I'd hate to see more devastation. 

1 comments:

echo said...

Hi, just found your blog on the blog hop and it looks very interesting to me. I am now following you. I'm also a Mom, Blogger, novelist and teacher.

Dixie Goode

Post a Comment

Message Me! I'd love to hear from you.